Miles - How he arrived

If you aren't interested in the details of how Miles was born, here's the short version:

He's here!!
8 lbs, 10 oz and 22 inches long

I'm going to record how he was born for my memory. If you'd like to read it feel free.

I went to my 39+1 week doctor's appointment on Wednesday. I had made some progress from 37 weeks and was now 3 cm and 70% effaced but Miles was still really high at a -3 station. I came home that day thinking it might still be awhile because he was so high. I noticed at 10pm that I had contractions coming every 10 minutes. This wasn't that unusual and so I just decided if I could go to sleep and ignore them that they were not the real deal. At 12:30 am I woke up in terrible pain. I had horrible cramps in my back that would get worse with each contraction. I honestly couldn't even time my contractions because the back pain was so bad. I walked around the house, drank water, took a bath and continued to get in and out of the bed to try and get some relief. I finally did fall asleep again around 4:30 am. When I woke up, I decided it must not be true labor because I had been able to go to sleep. I was still in pain but not as bad so told Rick to just  go ahead and go to work. About 30 mins after he left, I decided I needed to go to the doctor to see what was going on. I got there and had 2 different doctors examine me. My doctor (who has delivered all of our babies) was supposed to be at the satellite office that day but it was closed so he was there! He decided I was at 4 cm but still really high so he sent me down to labor and delivery. That was around 10 am. I was admitted and my nurse got my IV started and then my doctor came down to check on me again. At 10:30 am, I was at 6 cm which I was super excited about but the baby was still very high at a -3. He decided to break my water and see if that would make the contractions even stronger and help bring Miles down some. WOW! That made my contractions super strong!!!! Around 12:30 pm, I was checked again and had made no progress. I was still 6cm and 70% effaced and a -3 station. At this point, I got the epidural and pitocin was started to help things along. At 1:00 I was at 8cm, 80% effaced and -1 station so it definitely helped. 

Before the epidural :) 

At 2:30 I felt pressure and was complete. The nurse got everything set up for delivery and for the baby and called the doctor. He arrived at 3:06 and said to call him back once the baby was crowning. I pushed through 2 contractions and we had to call the dr back in. Pushed one time and Miles was here, at 3:16pm!! :) Rick and I both said that this was the best, easiest, and most peaceful labor we've had. I can't tell you how excited and thankful I was that my doctor could deliver all 6 of our children.

Love at first site for these 2 big girls

So I guess I sort of went into labor on my own and was sort of induced. :) Either way, it was perfect and we are very thankful and feeling mighty blessed.


  1. Oh, back labor is so tough! So glad that he came on and you were able to get some relief. He is precious and so are the girls and daddy with him!

    Dr. Ross has delivered zero of my children but has promised to be there for this baby. We will have to wait and see, because the baby hasn't promised to be convenient. :)

    So glad you are home. Can't wait to see the pictures of all 4 boys!

  2. What a beautiful, big baby boy! I'm so happy for your peaceful labor- I just love labor and newborns- it's such a precious, special time. Enjoy your babymoon with sweet Miles.

  3. Congratulations on Miles! And I'm so thankful for your birth experience, too! :)