2.03.2011

Naming a Baby: Because I'm a man



In August 2011, we will celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We were engaged in December 2000 and married on August 18, 2001. This means that sometime during the months of October or November in the year 2000 I had my first serious thoughts about marriage. I have since come to find out that women often begin their wedding planning at age 5. I can see the beginnings of this process in my daughters. How does this relate to the topic of baby names? It relates in that my wife seems to have meditated on baby names daily for the past 20 years, and the first time I think about a baby name is when she says, "so, what names do you like for this baby?"

This is not meant to be a commentary on my views of marriage and baby names. Scripture shows marriage to be an instituation put in place by our Creator, and this demands we hold it in high regard. Likewise, Scripture places a high value on names. I'll elaborate on that later, but the story here is that my daily meditation is on things other than marriage and babies; therefore, when it comes to selecting a name for our child I seem to procrastinate and do other things first. Remember, this is more of a confession than a defense of my ways. I think my procrastination on this topic relates partly to my being a man, but that is definitely not the most significant factor. Read on to see other reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment