10.22.2005

Our Children

"For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment. Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother
conceive me
. Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart."
Psalm 51:3-6

It's not our environment that makes us sinful, but it can be our environment that moves us to perpetuate that sin in our lives. As humans, we are born in sin according to God's word. We are born into a state Paul calls, "Dead in sin". The Holy Spirit renews us by giving us a new heart, but we must be concerned with fostering the growth of our new life. Our fear in today's society is being "legalistic". But we must remember that doing all we can to be pleasing to God isn't legalism, but rather it is being a child of God adopted into the family.

Children are a gift from the Lord, and it is our responsibility to raise them in the covenant community teaching them about God as we go. We are to do all we can to keep them from the evils of this world so they are not corrupted at a young age, but shielding them from opportunities for sin isn't our only endeavor. We must prepare them to stand firm in the Lord.

We must TEACH our children about God. We must SHOW them how to live "in Christ". We must TALK to them about God every day. We must MODEL the word of God before them day and night. Praise God for His grace that enables us to do this!
 Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment